Incoming calls go directly to voicemail

Hails
Contributor

For the past month I have been receiving voicemail messages without anyone calling. When this happens, I have not missed any calls. It is like whoever is dialing my number has it to go straight to voicemail. The voicemails are typically blank or sounds like background noises. I did sign up to have my number on the "do not call" list however, this continues to happen. 

This is quite annoying as it happens every day and with a 3 voicemail cap, I have to keep checking & deleting them. I'm pretty sure it's a robo call thing but I am not sure how to stop them.

Anybody have an idea on what to do? 

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

VirginPlusAntgio

Hey there @Hails

Welcome to the community and thanks for your post. 

This is definitely odd, however sounds like it could be a blocked contact trying to reach you. 

For more details on how to check your blocked list and see if your phone has the ability to also block them from leaving you a voicemail; Check out our Phone guides and user manualsOpens in a new tab or window support page on VirginPlus.ca.

We also invite you to check out our How To article Troubleshooting voice callsOpens in a new tab or window

Let the Community know if you have more questions.

View solution in original post

Hi there, @Azeem. Welcome to the Virgin Plus Community.

You may have an option enabled in your phones effectively blocking incoming calls from unknown numbers. Give the following instructions a try, and let us know if it makes for a difference:

iOS / iPhone:

1. Go to your Settings.

2. Tap Phone.
  3. Tap Call Blocking & Identification.
  4. Tap the Silence Junk Callers switch on or off

NOTE: If an emergency call is placed, Silence Junk Callers will be temporarily disabled for the next 24 hours.

Android:

1. Open your Phone app.
  2. Select the three dot menu icon in the top right.
  3. Select Settings.
  4. Tap on Block numbers.
  5. Toggle Block unknown/private numbers on or off.

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Hey there @VPS-RB

Welcome to the Community and thanks for your post. 

The Community being a peer to peer assistance channel, it would be hard to determine the cause. However, we will be happy to help wherever we can. 

A few clarification will be needed; 

• Is the issue occurring indoors, outdoors or both?
  • Are you using a Virgin Plus provided device or Grey market device?
  • What is the make, model and OS/IOS version of your device?
  • How many signal bars are visible on your phone when the issue is occurring?
  • Have you tried Wi-Fi calling (if you have a compatible plan and device)?
  • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?
  • Have you discussed your concern with our technical support team and opened a ticket?

19 REPLIES 19

VirginPlusAntgio

Hey there @Hails

Welcome to the community and thanks for your post. 

This is definitely odd, however sounds like it could be a blocked contact trying to reach you. 

For more details on how to check your blocked list and see if your phone has the ability to also block them from leaving you a voicemail; Check out our Phone guides and user manualsOpens in a new tab or window support page on VirginPlus.ca.

We also invite you to check out our How To article Troubleshooting voice callsOpens in a new tab or window

Let the Community know if you have more questions.

I was automatically set up with voicemail and no calls are coming through

Hey there @Sue13

In order for the Community to best assist some clarification will be needed;

• Are your calls going to quickly or straight to voicemail?
  • Are no calls coming in at all?
  • Are you able to make calls?

@VirginPlusAntgio .. hello,

I switched over to virgin from Rogers network Canada in July and have been having issues with my calls going directly to voicemail when callers call me. I then have to turn on/off the airplane mode and then the calls come through. Have also gone through the troubleshooting steps as advised by virgin support like punching the code for increasing the number of rings before hitting the voicemail, disabling auto vm etc. all failed. To confirm the issue is not limited to my phone, the same issue is occuring for my spouse's virgin line. We both switched over to virgin back in July and since spoke to support but all our approaches landed in deaf ears with promises to have a callback and fixes, but till date no luck. Frustrating as we have to call each other every few hours to check if our calls to each other is going to voicemail. If so, then we follow the restart or airplane mode. We have missed important calls this way and is not at all satisfying. Please advise if anything else can be done without cancelling the service?

Hey there @VPS-RB

The Community being a peer to peer assistance channel, it would be hard to determine the cause. However, we will be happy to help wherever we can. 

A few clarification will be needed; 

• Is the issue occurring indoors, outdoors or both?
  • Are you using a Virgin Plus provided device or Grey market device?
  • What is the make, model and OS/IOS version of your device?
  • How many signal bars are visible on your phone when the issue is occurring?
  • Have you tried Wi-Fi calling (if you have a compatible plan and device)?
  • Have you discussed your concern with our technical support team and opened a ticket?

Hi,

I recently ported my three numbers to Virgin plus. I am also having the same issue on my all three lines and 80% of the calls directly forwarded to voicemail, even within these three numbers as well. I am able to call on WhatsApp whenever that happens to any of my lines, means data and wifi connection are good. 

It has been a month since I ported my two numbers from Koodo and one from Rogers, I thought it was an issue due to port for few days but it is a permanent problem and as I searched in internet and found many people have same problem in the past but couldn't find any solution.

Please help me and solve this issue.

Thanks 

Hi there, @Azeem. Welcome to the Virgin Plus Community.

You may have an option enabled in your phones effectively blocking incoming calls from unknown numbers. Give the following instructions a try, and let us know if it makes for a difference:

iOS / iPhone:

1. Go to your Settings.

2. Tap Phone.
  3. Tap Call Blocking & Identification.
  4. Tap the Silence Junk Callers switch on or off

NOTE: If an emergency call is placed, Silence Junk Callers will be temporarily disabled for the next 24 hours.

Android:

1. Open your Phone app.
  2. Select the three dot menu icon in the top right.
  3. Select Settings.
  4. Tap on Block numbers.
  5. Toggle Block unknown/private numbers on or off.

Hi @VirginPlusKris,

Thank you for your response. I've reviewed these settings, and none of the numbers are blocked. As mentioned, neither I nor my other two phones receive incoming calls most of the time; they are often transferred to voicemail. Interestingly, on some occasions, calls from the same numbers do ring through, and we are able to answer. Additionally, we've difficulties calling each other within our three lines, as it mostly goes to voicemail. However, there are instances when we can successfully receive calls from one another.

There was no problem a month ago when we were using Koodo (for 2 phones) and Rogers services for our phones. We ported our numbers out from them to Virgin last month November 2023.

Looking forward to someone to help us to get out of this situation. Thanks 

Thank you for letting us know, @Azeem.

For the sake of testing, have you considered setting up Wi-Fi Calling on the three lines? This would help both incoming and outgoing calls be completed via your home wi-fi network as opposed to the local cellular network if local reception isn't sufficient.

If you're unsure as to how, check out our handy page on Wi-Fi CallingOpens in a new tab or window for more info on instructions and eligible phone models.

Someone call me my phone goes to voicemail.

I switched from Rogers to Virgin Mobile at the beginning of January 2024, and since then my service has gotten increasingly worse. People keep telling me they have tried calling me several times but it doesnt ring, it goes straight to voicemail. I am also getting voicemails from people but their missed call doesnt even show up in my call log.

I have tried resetting my phone, and taking the SIM card out and putting it back in but Im having the same issue.

Any advice would be appreciated.

wayfee
Contributor

Same here... Been happening way too long. 

what will i do my number cannot be reached but i can call and send text messages? thank you.

Kevin Eliuk
Contributor

To everyone in this thread.

Hi,

I believe I know what is happening here.

In the past, when testing whether my phone is receiving calls, I will have a person on another service or my own service call my number.  On occasion, the person calling will have heard 2 to 3 rings before my phone will emit the 1st ring.  The lag in my phone getting the first ring will mean if I do not pick up immediately, or let it go to a second ring iI will be re-routed to voicemail.

This can be detrimental in terms of Medical appointments conducted by phone, as the call is either coming from a private caller or a call network where you are unable to return the call.

This is difficult to reproduce, but a solution Virgin and Bell should have in place, is to provide a setting that will allow the user to increase the number of rings that will trigger the call to go to voice mail.

I believe this is something which could be escalated to the CRTC, because since covid, we need the ability to receive all incoming calls without the carrier interfering with them.

Regards,

Kevin Eliuk