Third party phone support

Jomad
Contributor

I am planning to get a OnePlus Nord N30 5G to replace my old phone. Are OnePlus phones supported by Virgin plus?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VirginPlusKris

Hi there, @Jomad. Welcome to the Virgin Plus Community, and thanks for your post.

Officially, we're unable to guarantee service to any phone not sold through Virgin Plus - as such, this would include OnePlus phones. In the case of repairs we would not be able to assist, and it would be something needed to be accounted for if you had technical issues at any point in the future.

If you would like, you can punch in the IMEI of your new phone into our IMEI checkerOpens in a new tab or window - this will provide a broad stroke of a yes or no if your specific phone is supported, but cannot make assurances to the quality of service (i.e. being able to make use of 5G)

Let us know if you have any further questions.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

VirginPlusKris

Hi there, @Jomad. Welcome to the Virgin Plus Community, and thanks for your post.

Officially, we're unable to guarantee service to any phone not sold through Virgin Plus - as such, this would include OnePlus phones. In the case of repairs we would not be able to assist, and it would be something needed to be accounted for if you had technical issues at any point in the future.

If you would like, you can punch in the IMEI of your new phone into our IMEI checkerOpens in a new tab or window - this will provide a broad stroke of a yes or no if your specific phone is supported, but cannot make assurances to the quality of service (i.e. being able to make use of 5G)

no190
Contributor

I have an OnePlus 12. It functions as a 4G phone with Virgin using the default settings. However, with certain apps like the 5G Network Manager, you can gain access to 5G, provided you have a 5G plan.

My phone works on Virgin Plus' network based on the IMEI look up. However, I saw the disclaimer "some services are only available on certain phones, and some services might need some extra set-up to work on our network". How can I determine whether certain services may work with configuration on Virgin's end or if it's a lost cause? Can I do this over the phone with tech support? I've been using an Xperia 5 III.

Good morning, @DistortionTaco. Thanks for your post.

Ultimately we're unable to guarantee full service to any phone not sold by Virgin Plus directly - this would include Sony phones such as yours. Tech Support does not keep a catalogue of third party phones, and would not be able to provide any better insight. Generally speaking, the best way to know would be to plug in a SIM card and see for yourself.

Speaking from my own personal experience though, I've used an Xperia 1 III (XQ-BC72 model) in the past without issue. 🙂

Thanks Kris. I've been using the Xperia 5 III for 2 1/2 years but wasn't aware of "wifi-calling" until recently. I can't find a way to enable it but I know it's available on my plan. The setting is missing. 

Glad to hear back from you, @DistortionTaco.

In this case, we would be unable to guarantee support. A feature such as Wi-Fi Calling is only able to be provisioned for supported phones, such as those sold directly through Virgin Plus currently and in the past. Regrettably, Sony Xperia phones are not officially sold in Canada through providers.

You can read more on supported phones on our Support page on Wi-Fi CallingOpens in a new tab or window here.