Sending text via Wi-Fi error code 0

MajBach
Contributor II

I have a LG Velvet. I used to use Chomp for messaging but switched over to Google Messages after learning it could send over WiFi, you could see if it was delivered and you could see recipients typing a reply. It worked fine for a month or more then stopped. Whenever I send a text now I get a little pop up at the button saying "can't send text - virgin error 0". Text will often go through anyway if I have cell reception but if I use airplane mode and turn on WiFi, the pop up will repeat over and over. It used to send over WiFi. Can't find others with this issue.

8 REPLIES 8

VirginPlusPatricia

Hi @MajBach. Thanks for your post, and welcome to the Community.

Can you let us know if you have a data plan active? Also, are the texts you are sending within Canada or international? 

- Patricia

Thank you for replying. Yes I have a large data plan that I never use up. Texts are domestic.
To re-iterate, I used to use Chomp as a my SMS application and switched to Messages (I think this is the default app for this phone. It's by Google anyway). My reason for switching was for the "chat features" which requires enabling them and verification.Some of the features include "read receipts" and "typing indicator". These features used to work on this phone then one day the features and the ability to send via Wi-Fi stopped working with the little error prompt I mentioned before.
Messages App is version 10.7.461

VirginPlusPatricia

Thanks for getting back to us @MajBach. 🙂

When you go into your settings within the Text/Chat icon, and then go to Chat Settings, which features do you have enabled/disabled?

When you turn Wi-Fi off and send your messages via Google Messenger (RCS messages) can you confirm if you still receive error code 0?

- Patricia

MajBach
Contributor II

Thanks for the continuing support. Here are some screenshots that may answer your questions.
When I have Wi-Fi off, I do not THINK I get the error; only with it on. However, I do recall recently with Wi-Fi off and in an area of very poor reception, I may have got the error, although, I probably had Wi-Fi turned on but it was not connected to any network.
On the last picture, I tried texting my work phone. Test 1 and 2 went through fine but when I turned data off but kept WiFi on, I got the error. Messages used to go through with just WiFi on...no cel network required. That is also when the chat features worked.
App settings.pngFeatures.pngScreenshot_20220104-114131.pngadvanced features.pngtest.png

VirginPlusAntgio

Thanks for the screenshots @MajBach

On your last screenshot we can see that airplane mode is on as well as your Wi-Fi. Unless you're on an airplane there should be no need to toggle airplane mode on, can you turn airplane mode off and test while connected to Wi-Fi and cellular network. 

Let us know how it went. 

MajBach
Contributor II

Two years later and problem not solved. This time though it almost cost me $90 following that advice (leave airplane mode off).
I was in USA recently. I had airplane mode on and WiFi also on. I expected with this set up I could send texts via WiFi using the chat features. This didn't seem to be the case as none sent. However, I did turn roaming and data back on because I tried to buy a data pass from Virgin. This also did not work as the web screens would not load . I was later told by two ppl from AT&T and T-Mobile that the Velvet no long works in the USA with ANY sim card because the EMEI number is registered with the carriers as being attached to a switchable 5G phone which the carrier no longer support. WiFi still works.
Much to my surprise, when I returned home I was billed $90 for text messages sent while roaming even though Data and Roaming were turned off. I also had it in airplane mode with the WiFi active. So, I don't know what else I could have done to prevent texts from going out through cell service.
Anyway, back in Canada and after getting off the phone with a service rep from Rogers who advised me to keep my phone in Airplane mode always while abroad. It's hard to know what to do. I cannot by an American SIM - doesn't work in a Velvet (well it does, for about 10 minutes then restrictions kick in). I cannot buy a data or travel pass while in the USA - Ive tried. So, I guess I need to buy and add-on before I leave but even then....I am still wary if it will work.
Back to the original problem. Obviously I cannot tell how the messages are been sent; WiFi or cellular. But, I just tried putting my phone into airplane mode and turning on WiFi. This should be all I need to enable chat features and send a text. Nope. I get the same error as stated above. Still hoping for a solution.

busprogram
Contributor

Hello,

I switched to Virgin Mobile from Koodo back in November. Ever since, my phone has random spells where it will not send text messages due to "Error 0". What does error zero mean and how can I make it stop?

Thank you!

RedRose
Regular Contributor

Hi @busprogram 

• Turn off phone take out SIM card and after 1 min insert in and turn on it.
  • Try Reset Network Settings
  • save your text messages before you do Clear the message app cache and clear data
  • Check Update Your Message App
  • Check Software Update up to date
  • Reboot your device.