Could anybody tell me who turned on my Wi-Fi?

vi647
Contributor II

Could anybody tell me who turned on my Wi-Fi?

Screenshot 1.pngScreenshot 2.pngScreenshot 3.pngScreenshot 4.pngScreenshot 5.pngScreenshot 6.pngScreenshot 7.pngScreenshot 8.pngScreenshot 9.pngScreenshot 99.png

After the Virgin technician set up the Valerie modem, I immediately connected a securely confirmed computer to Valerie modem via Ethernet and turned off the modem's Wi-Fi . Then, for the first time on April 1, I used Valerie to connect to the Internet. If you look at the system log, it was then that the Wi-Fi was turned back on. But I didn't do that. ... It's too wierd, right?

8 REPLIES 8

VirginPlusAntgio

Hey there @vi647

Welcome to the Community and thanks for your post. 

The Community being a peer to peer assistance channel, we wouldn't have those types of details on this channel. 

It is possible that your modem completed a system update that caused it to reset itself back to it's default settings. 

Let the Community know if you have more questions. 

Thank you for your speedy reply.  Could you please help me find out where is the system update record in the system log? 

I experienced a loss through online banking, and although the bank compensated me, I have recently encountered many strange internet incidents, including E-transfers that were halted by the bank, and so on. Therefore, I set up this new Virgin Home Internet, using it exclusively on a dedicated computer ensured for security, and only for handling online banking and related transactions.

I know I may be overly sensitive, but if you could help me interpret this system log, it would really be a great help to me and that would be very grateful.

19:00:38 the modem has successfully powered up.

19:01:02  WLAN has been activated.

only 24 seconds... seems not enough for the modem to complete a system update and reset itself back to it's default settings. 

We've asked around for clarification on your logs @vi647 and we were advised the following; 

• The modem was factory defaulted, and it caused the default state of your Wi-Fi to be automatically enabled. 
  • You can notice the timestamps are from 2012. This is indicative that the events were logged during boot up. These events occurs when the modem was able to communicate with the server but has not yet set its time from the network time servers which explains why they may not be in order.

Hope this helps clarify your concern.

vi647
Contributor II

Thank you for your patient response, having such a nice moderator like you is really great. I've re-edited the two screenshots together so that the timeline looks a bit clearer. Could you take another look for me? who turn on WIFI.png

We're always happy to help as best we can. 

We appreciate the clean up. We took another look to be sure, and the results are the same as our previous response. 

Let the Community know if you have more questions. 

vi647
Contributor II

who turn on WIFI.png

@VirginPlusAntgio wrote:

We've asked around for clarification on your logs @vi647and we were advised the following; 

• The modem was factory defaulted, and it caused the default state of your Wi-Fi to be automatically enabled. 
  • You can notice the timestamps are from 2012. This is indicative that the events were logged during boot up. These events occurs when the modem was able to communicate with the server but has not yet set its time from the network time servers which explains why they may not be in order.

We've asked around for clarification on your logs @vi647 and we were advised the following; 

I agree with everything you said, it's just that the modem was factory defaulted BY ME, and I turned off the WIFI afterwards.

As you said the timestamp also indicates that the modem wasn't connected to the internet...  that's why I'm a bit concerned.