Valerie router blocks pi hole dns device

itaygurvich
Contributor

I'm trying to set up a pi-hole on my home network to block ads and websites (since Virgin's routers don't have the ability to filter websites out of the box for some reason). the pi-hole is working fine after install and passes tests I do with nslookup using itself as the dns server, as well as when I query it using my laptop. The issue starts happening when I set its reserved local ip as the primary and secondary DNS, afterwhich the raspberrypi just bricks and seemingly unable to send outbound traffic. I can still ssh to it from my laptop, but using the pi to ping the router, other DNS servers and my laptop just hangs with 100% packet loss. Another weird thing is that it seems to persist based on the IP, I tried to reinstall the OS on the pi, and since the reserved IP was tied to the MAC it assigned it the same IP and it was unable to send outbound traffic on a new fresh install, to solve it I had to assign it a new IP using DHCP on a fresh install

1 REPLY 1

Ron_01
Contributor

I just started playing around with the same setup and faced the EXACT same situation. I tried everything possible and the only solution was to assign a new IP using DHCP on a fresh install as well.

It seems to box is blocking for whatever reason. Can reach the raspberri pi zero running PIhole form other device, but my router can ping the pihole, nor can the pihole ping the router. I have not found out why yet.