I would like to disable my WIFI and use my own WIFI router

wolv3rin3_81
Contributor

I have been having issues with the wifi router section of the Valeria modem and I am on my second one since the apparent fix is just go and swap for a "new one". I would like to disable the WIFI router and use my ASUS routers. I the past I was able to use bridge mode, but I cannot find it and reading around it seems it doesn't exist in the Valeria modem. I am hoping to get some insight here.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Godfather
Contributor II

I also needed to get the Valerie modem in bridge mode ( or modem mode) so I can get WAN IP address on my Asus Router and continue using my own personal VPN server on Asus Router.

It seems the Modem itself is locked down with basic setup and doesn't have the Bridge mode. What I did to overcome the problem:

a) Connected my ASUS router's WAN port to one of the LAN ports of the Valerie modem.

B) Turned off all WiFi signals on Valerie modem ( to use my Asus Wifi Signal. You don't have to this step if you want to use Valerie's Wifi signal)

C) On my Asus router, under WAN configuration, selected PPPoE , entered my V2 username and password, and boom. It authenticated and got the WAN IP address ( No double NAT) and my VPN server on the Asus Router also works.

I read some people changed the credential on Valerie to something invalid before doing step C above. However I found it un-necessary as it seems Virigin ( Bell) allows multiple login to their network.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23

VirginPlusAntgio

Hey there @wolv3rin3_81 ,

Welcome to the community and thanks for your post.

The DMZ / Advanced DMZ in the Advanced Tool section of the GUI should provide the necessary functionalities needed.

Depending on the scenario you want to achieve, in your 3rd party device that should be connected on a LAN port, you may also need to do some or all the following configuration tasks;

• Turn off the Primary Wi-Fi network on your modem / Enable Wi-Fi on device
  • Turn off DHCP in your modem / Enable DHCP on your device
  • Configure PPPoE settings on your device by either inputting your Virgin Plus V2 and password [Virgin Plus Internet user ID (e.g., V2xxxxxx)] - (under the internet tab on the top page of the GUI) or inputting other credentials you may want to use. This will circumvent the modem NAT.

Let the Community know if you have more questions.

fibreUser
Contributor

I have the same question... I'm thinking of switching from Bell to Virgin.  The Bell Home Hub 4000 has an automatic bridge mode.  I plug in my router into one of the LAN ports and my router does the PPPoE authentication and receives the IP address from Bell via the bridge that the HomeHub creates automagically.   Are you saying that won't work with the Valerie modem?  

Hi there, @fibreUser. Welcome to the Virgin Plus Community, and thanks for your post.

Yes, that is correct. What you are suggesting would not work with the Valerie modem.

Let us know if you have any further questions.

I want to disable the wifi signal from Valerie modem and I toggled all of the 2.4G, 5G Radio 1 and 5G Radio 2 to off. But my tablet can still successfully connect to the wifi network while they have been toggled to off.

Is there a way I can disable the wifi signals completely on the Valerie modem? Thank you.

Hey there @N0tHandyInuff

Welcome to the Community and thanks for your post. 

That's definitely strange and we're here to help wherever we can. 

Have you tried the following;

• Restarted your modem & tablet and tried again?
  • Tested the tablet to see if it could connect by searching the web or using an app that requires internet to function?
  • Does your tablet have a data plan that would connect when no Wi-Fi is available?
  • Do you have the Guest Wi-Fi feature turned on? If so please turn off.
  • What troubleshooting steps have you completed so far?

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Unfortunately I tried this and it didn't work. To give context, I started all this cause I have been having a hard time with slow speeds and router random resets. After trying the above, my speed are not going over 60mbps (I have 300mbps). This is my second modem in a couple of months with the same results. I have a tech coming to my home in 2 days. I do understand it is part of the process but this is all very frustrating the countless reboots and cycles of virtual repair tools with no fix.

Hi there, @wolv3rin3_81. Thanks for following up.

The frustration is totally understandable, and we're sorry to hear about the experience that you've been having. It's good to hear that you've made arrangements for a technician home visit, though. Please keep the Community up to date as to what the technician has to say, and what steps may need to be taken next.

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

How can I find my password and user id for setting up PPPoE services in my own modem?

I think User Id is visibile in the modem, but password is not.

The tech replaced my router since for whatever reason the virtual repair tool seems to have thought it was a outside wiring or hardware issue which a tech was needed. He unfortunately was not really helpful or happy to be at my house. I had to "guide/persuade" him to swapping out the router. His initial reaction was your internet is working? Then I cannot do anything for you! Call Virgin. Also in his own words I rarely deal with Virgin customers and my advice is to switch to bell. With that said, my internet service is working optimally now and am not motivated to pursue the alternative router option. 

Have you ever found out what you should use for PPPoE password? They keep saying to configure our router to use PPPoE but I'm missing the credentials. Thanks!

How do I find the password that corresponds to the v2xxxxxx user ID for the PPPoE settings? Thanks!

Just moved to Virgin Plus Internet from Bell Internet. From the very begging I have returned Bell's Hub router and was using OpenWrt based router with setup of PPPoE and VLAN 35. I was kind of sure that moving to Virgin Plus would allow for the similar configuration to work. Only obvious difference Virgin Plus setup has is the user name that must have @virnmobile.ca attached to it at the end. The Internet username and passwords are provided with self installation package and proved to be correct by testing connection using Valerie's web admin console settings.

Questions:

1. has anyone successfully configured VLAN tagging and PPPoE setup?

2. is it possible VLAN id used by Virgin Plus Internet is not 35?

P.S. I know some support engineers are working for both: Bell and Virgin. If you read this please share what the issue might be.

Thanks in advance

Hi there, @someonesomewhere and @eugene. Thanks for your posts.

Eugene, in regards to VLAN 35 - we've confirmed that internet with Virgin Plus does use VLAN 35.

someonesomewhere, as mentioned by Eugene, your password can be found on the self-installation package that would be provided to you. If you had a technician visit for your installation or no longer have the packaging, please let us know and we'll be happy to assist further from there.

Best wishes. 🙂

I have never been provided PPPoE credentials, either for self-installations or during technician visits. The self-installation package only includes Wi-Fi SSID and WPA2 pwd. I have three of those, for three different Virgin modems through the years. I still have them all and just checked. Nowhere the PPPoE is listed.