"Internet Access Manager" disappears from the Valerie Router

AWAH
Contributor III

Referring to this link on "How to set up Internet Access Manager" at
https://virginhome.tmtx.ca/en/topic/homeinternet_valerie/how_to_create_access_controls_on_my_valerie...

Unfortunately, the "Internet Access Manager" function is no longer available in my Valerie router dashboard as of Aug 11, 2023 all of a sudden and all controlled schedule day and time for the specific devices are all gone!

I have tried both doing a "reboot", i.e. power cycling and a "reset to factory default".  In both cases,  the "Internet Access Manager" section of the dashboard still does not show up.  It just disappears forever. 

Here are the firmware info of my Valerie router FYI..

Firmware version:2.5
Rescue version:SG4F210008
User interface version:7.3.29
Hardware version:5566-000002-006

Technical Support said Virgin Plus is removing this function in stages and I guess I was hit first without being notified. There is nothing you can do to control any connected device other than turning the MAC Filtering ON or OFF for a specific device.  However, you still unable to specify any day or time of the day the device should have access with MAC Filtering. This makes the router a dummy device that only allow you to setup WiFi SSID and password which is very disappointing! 

Wonder if anyone experiences the same problem?  If yes, do you have a way to control access of a device from this dummy Valerie router?

21 REPLIES 21

hsach
Contributor II

Hi,

I am unable to open 192.168.2.1 page on my laptop. This page opens in Mobile as mobile website where very limited functionality is available.

Reboot of the router also does not help and also I tried connecting the router with LAN cable but still the page does not open.

It just hangs here

hsach_0-1691615602977.png

I have tried resetting the router, after that the page works for some days and then again same thing.

hsach
Contributor II

My Router is Steve.

Hi there, @hsach. Thank you for your detailed reply.

When you say "reset", are you meaning that you're just power cycling it? If so, could you try doing a full factory reset as well?

Let us know if that helps. Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Jazzy1987
Contributor

I have the same problem, I am not happy. I was using this to control access by my children. Why in the world would this feature be removed? One of the greatest parts of switching to this company. Disappointed. 

No, When I say reset it means factory reset the router. So after factory reset, when I configure the router again to connect to internet, the page works for some days/some hours and after that again not working.

Power recycling does not have any effect (That is it does not fix the issue)

Melanie
Contributor

I can access Valerie and I can see how many users are on my modem, but I can't access to the user setting( to stop acces to Internet for one user). I was able to acces it last but it has now disappered from the screen (empty space on the right).

Melanie_0-1692629529253.png

Sne0108
Contributor II

Hi @AWAH 

Question, did get "new device connected" showing on the little display constantly? I woke up this morning with this same issue you have, except with that msg showing and not going away even after reboots. Anyways, just want to see if it's my modem or this is how it is for others.

Thanks!

AWAH
Contributor III

@Sne0108 Yes, I got that display "new device connected" showing on the little display constantly when I notice that "Internet Access Manager" function is gone!

I was wondering why I had a new device connected to my router.  I even took the effort to disconnect my router and turned off broadcasting but the message "new device connected" message is still there!

Sne0108
Contributor II

@AWAH I ended up getting a replacement modem, worked for a day... then woke up this morning to "new device connected" and the advanced features gone under Manage my WI-Fi.

seems like firmware updates are screwing these modems up. Got the Valerie modem put in early this summer and this is the 3rd modem that screwed up for me.

Wonder if modems from other internet providers are more reliable? LOL

mrr
Contributor

Same problem here, tried to contact virgin, but it seems that somebody pull the manager out, I hope this is not the "obviously" new firmware, other internet providers have this option as standard, if they do not fix it I guess is time to move on.

AnnieM2023
Contributor II

I have the same problem now. My router is Valerie. I was able to set it up before vacation. Now, I cannot limit my kids' wifi. I guess I'm going to leave VirginPlus if they don't reactivate it.

AWAH
Contributor III

@Sne0108  
VirginPlusKris

The old firmware version with "Internet Access Manager" function there:

Firmware version:SG4F210008
Rescue version:SG4F210004
User interface version:4.5.4

If you see get "new device connected" showing on the little display constantly, this means the router firmware is updated!
The new firmware version with "Internet Access Manager" function removed! 

Firmware version:2.5
Rescue version:SG4F210008
User interface version:7.3.29

Well, I used to be able to setup the MAC address filtering with day-and-time over 20 years ago with my DSL modem!

It makes no sense why BELL would take away the "Internet Access Manager" function sneakily without fore-warning the customers. Now, they even sneakily remove this link on "How to set up Internet Access Manager" at
https://virginhome.tmtx.ca/en/topic/homeinternet_valerie/how_to_create_access_controls_on_my_valerie...

We should all complain and may be they will revert the function!

AWAH
Contributor III

@mrr & @AnnieM2023 

I did the virtual chat again to escalate this problem.  I was finally able to speak to Joshua of technical support.  He admitted that this is a technical error and they made a mistake to pull this important Internet Access Control function and they also did not inform the customers about this error is their mistake.  He is willing to substitute my modem with the old firmware and hopefully it won't get automatically upgrade again.  At least this will buy me some time that I can still use the old firmware with the "Internet Access Manager" feature until they come up with a permanent resolution!

You may want to call the to ask for a replacement modem with the old firmware and hope that they will fix the problem soon!